Grochalski's Grooves 2011
5. Beady Eye "Different Gear, Still Speeding" Liam Gallagher and the boys from Oasis shed Noel and make the big dumb rock record that they always had in them.
4. Iron & Wine "Kiss Each Other Clean" The more Sam Beam moves away from the original concept for Iron & Wine, the better he seems to get.
3. Ryan Adams "Ashes and Fire" Ryan Adams is in full on singer/songwriter mode on this disc, which took me a few listens to really get into. And...is that Mandy Moore singing background on a track or so? Still, ultimately a fantastically intimate record.
2. Gomez "Whatever is on Your Mind" I've been talking these cats up for over a decade now but no one seems to listen.....now's the time.
1. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds" Noel sheds Liam and the boys and makes his best album since (What's The Story?) Morning Glory. There isn't a track on this that I don't absolutely love.
R.E.M. "Collapse into Now" REM seemed to find themselves again on 2008's Accelerate
and gave us another blast with Collapse into Now, which, sadly, became their swan song.
Song of the year:
Beastie Boys "Make Some Noise" Old school done right.
John Grochalski is a poet, fictioneer, and regular columnist for The New Yinzer.
Holly's Hot Wax
Jacaszek "Glimmer" - Lil' dude from Poland with sounds from space
Childish Gambino "Camp" - see your boy's explanation
Tune-Yards "who Kill" - a festival of awesome
Jill Scott "Light of the Sun" - our generation's best female vocalist
Mexicans with Guns "Ceremony" - so siiiiiiiiiick
Tinariwen "Tassili" - journey to the land of the Blue People of Touareg on this album
Sarah Jarosz "follow me down" - good folk for driving 79S
VIKTM "Night of the giving head" - for shits and giggles
Holly Coleman – Awesome Sauce! Also, co-director of the TNY Presents reading series.
Brendan's Bang-A-Gong 2011
1. Soul Messages from Dimona
2. Afro-Beat Airways
3. Nas – Illmatic
4. Charles Mingus – Ah Um
5. Aquarius Rock
6. Rikki Ilionga and Musi-O-Tunya – Dark Sunrise
7. Miles Davis – A Tribute to Jack Johnson
8. Eddie Hazel – Games Dames and Guitar Thangs
9. Leonard Cohen – New Skin for the Old Ceremony
10. Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway – Self Titled
11. Bill Callahan – Apocalypse
12. Mountain Goats – All Eternals Deck
13. Gil Scott Heron – Free Will
14. Eccentric Soul – Twinight’s Lunar Rotation
15. Father’s Children – Who’s Gonna Save the World
16. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
17. Hank Snow – Just Keep A-Movin’
18. Fennesz – Endless Summer
19. Steely Dan – Can’t Buy a Thrill
20. Rolling Stones – Exile on Main Street
Brendan Kerr – Polish Hill bon vivant, often sighted at Gooski's.
1. Bruno Mars – It will rain
2. RHCP – Monarchy of Roses
3. Foster the People – Pumped up Kicks
4. Cee Lo Green– F**K You
5. Adele – Rolling in the Deep
6. Weezer – Troublemaker
7. Gorillaz – Demon Days
8. Unwritten Law – Up All Night
9. Pittbull et al – Give me Everything
10. Flo Rida – Good Feeling
Nicole Leckenby, former TNY, forever TNY, is currently working on her second book.
Moody's Mystic Moods
Camp by Childish Gambino (Comedian Donald Glover of Community and former writer for 30 Rock is ridiculous with the wordplay: "My d&$! is like an accent mark: it's all about the over E's [ovaries]")
Drive Original Soundtrack score by Cliff Martinez (The minimalist instrumentation embodies the spirit of the film's sparse dialogue. Instead of trying to define what neo-noir is, from now on I'm going to tell people to listen to the tracks "Kick Your Teeth" & "Skull Crushing").
Nine Types of Light by TV on the Radio (Eargasm)
Jonathan Moody – poet extraordinaire, former Pittsburgher. We miss him.
Jen's Jams & Too Tight Tracks
1. Darkness on the Edge of Town – Bruce SpringsteenCandy's Room; Streets of Fire, Badlands
2. Wingspan – Paul McCartneyLet 'em In; Comin' Up; Band on the Run
3. Alas, Not Us – MeaningsAll Tracks
4. Private Eyes – Hall & OatesNo Can Do; Private Eyes
5. Songs from the Big Chair – Tears for FearsEWTRTW; Shout; Head Over Heels
6. Rearview Mirror – Pearl JamGiven to Fly
7. Torches – Foster the PeoplePumped Up Kicks
8. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – Phoenix1901
9. Greatest Hits – Duran DuranGirls On Film; The Reflex; Come Undone
10. Peter Gabriel (3) – Peter GabrielGames Without Frontiers
Jennifer Quinio-Hedges, zumba ninja, owns and operates ModernFormations Gallery.